Why Shop Local?
When you shop local in Redcliffe you are supporting locally owned businesses, you’re not only supporting the local Redcliffe Peninsula economy and the growth in employment of local people. You are also directly supporting local sporting groups and your local community in general. When you spend $100 at a local Redcliffe Peninsula business, on average 58% more of your money stays in our community compared to what would have happened if you spent that $100 at a multinational company based store.
Overall, it is important to shop locally to encourage the health and sustainability of our local community. You will also be encouraging community engagement whilst creating long term relationships and promoting loyalty within your community. By shopping locally and allowing local businesses to thrive you will also be indirectly helping with local tourism, as visitors are more likely to visit our local area if there are distinct and individual shops to visit.
Here’s 10 good reasons to spend your money locally
- Local Economic Stimulus When you purchase from locally-owned businesses more money is kept in the local community as locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses, and trades and service providers. Therefore, spending your money at local businesses supports other local business which in turn stimulates the local economy.
- Local Businesses Support your Lifestyle Anyone who has helped raise funds for a school or charitable organisation knows that it is significantly easier to source donations from locally owned businesses. When locally owned businesses donate to local charities, it is unnecessary to get approval from a head office in a capital city!
- The Majority of Jobs in Australia Are Provided By Local Businesses Small local businesses are the largest employers in Australia, so supporting a local business helps to both retain and grow jobs in your community.
- Unique Businesses Create Character & Prosperity The unique character of your local community is defined largely by the presence of local businesses. The distinctiveness of your local community increases the overall satisfaction with where you live and the value of your home and property. Furthermore, having unique and interesting businesses in Armidale and surrounds will enhance tourism in the region.
- Customer Service Is Better Local businesses often hire people with more specific product expertise which leads to better customer service. Therefore, local businesses are often able to specialise in products and services that are valued by the local community.
- You can Sometimes try Before you Buy Small business owners are generally on-site and it’s easier to ask a local owner if you can sample or trial a product. Try asking chain store staff or an online merchant if you can sample the product before deciding to buy!
- Local Business Owners Invest In Your Community Local businesses are owned by people who live in the community, so are less likely to leave, and are more committed to the community’s welfare and future. They have a direct commitment to you as they rely on your support.
- Public Benefits Far Outweigh Public Costs Local businesses require comparatively little infrastructure and more efficiently utilize public services.
- You Matter More Your values and desires are much more influential and important to a local business owner as opposed to managers of large chain stores. You can also help to mould a local store through your purchasing decisions and feedback. As the success of local business relies on you and your feedback, local business owners are going to be more likely to treat you well and provide you with excellent service and after sales service.
- You Might get a Better Deal or some Good Advice Local businesses use their discretion to reward regular customers with discounts on items you actually want to buy. The owners and workers of locally owned businesses can inform you of the benefits of the products and services and can usually recommend products and services in light of the requirements of the local area. Often products from local providers are of superior quality and in many cases will be Australian or even locally made.